Go Back   Ford Forums > Ford Car Forums > Ford Probe Forum

Notices

Ford Probe Forum Forum for discussions regarding the Ford Probe.

Ford Forum: How much would it cost to Import a Ford Probe from Europe?

Old 02-07-2011, 06:04 PM

Default How much would it cost to Import a Ford Probe from Europe?

I have a 1998 European Ford Probe GT that i really want to take back to the states with me. Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the European models and the American model? Any information would be a lot of help.

Old 02-07-2011, 06:05 PM

That would cost a ton.

And that is not exaggerating, it would probably cost 2K.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:05 PM

It wouldn't be worth it. Sell it and buy a new one in the states.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:12 PM

It's just not worth it, unless you just can't live without that car. Shipping it would be the cheapest part of all this, and that would cost a small fortune. Once you got it to America the government wouldn't let you
drive it or tag it until it meets all the EPA pollution and safety regulations for that model year. That means you have to hire a conversion company to make the car legal in the US, because you can't just do that yourself. The government wants a certified company to do the conversions. They run you through endless red tape, time and expense. And a government inspector is part of the whole thing, and he can make it as expensive as he wants for you. This will be the biggest and most espensive mightmare you can imagine if you try it. So unless you've got thousands of dollars to spend I wouldn't do it. Not to mention the 8-12 months it will take for all the different government agencies to sign off on the car.
I know this is not what you wanted to hear but it's the ugly truth, sorry! Just look up all the regulations on this at the U.S. Government web sites and you'll see what I'm talking about.